Wednesday 14 October 2015


24 by Claire Seeber


My best friend, Emily, is dead – killed last night in a hotel fire. 
But it was meant to be me. 
Now I have 24 hours to find my daughter. 
Before he finds out I’m still alive. 
24 Hours is a fast-paced, intelligent psychological thriller that will leave you breathless.

Review

Wow! What a fast paced, action packed psychological thriller 24 is! It starts with Laurie and her best friend Emily involved in a hotel fire in Devon and Laurie is mistakenly pronounced dead, when it is in fact Emily who has died in the fire. Laurie then believes that someone is trying to kill her so she makes a desperate attempt to get back to London to find her daughter Polly (who is on her way back from Disneyland with her Grandmother) but Laurie thinks her estranged husband Sid will take her.


This is a fast paced story and the chapters flip backwards and forwards and we find out about the relationship between Laurie and Sid, which was sometimes very abusive and the build up to the events of the fire in which her best friend dies and why it happened.

I must admit, I sometimes held my breath reading what was happening as you feel quite frustrated that Laurie is having such difficulty in getting back to London and the obstacles put in her way, as if someone is trying to stop her getting her daughter! She befriends a young lad called Saul, who has troubles himself, but although the friendship is formed very quickly, you can tell they have a deep understanding and respect for one another.

I thought the characters were described by the author very well. Laurie seemed a bit of a walkover earlier on in her relationship with Sid (blinded by love some would say!) but once she thought he might snatch their daughter, a mist comes over her and she gets this inner strength from somewhere and fights with all her might to get home before he does! I didn’t like the character of Sid one bit, but that’s what a great author does, makes good guys and bad guys!

I must admit, I didn’t expect the “twist” at the end and thought it was very good and I think it brought everything together .

A brilliant, fast paced, action packed thriller, which I could certainly see turned into a film!


Thank you to Kim at Bookouture for sending me a copy of the book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment